The Club has been in existence since it's foundation stone was laid on 9th August 1887. Lindley Liberal Club is situated in the centre of the village adjacent to the famous Lindley Clock Tower. We are approximately two miles northwest of Huddersfield Town Centre, easily accessible by a regular bus service and enjoying a membership of approximately 2000 members. Our longest closure was from March 20th until July 4th 2020 because of the Covid 19 pandemic. During this time and following on from the EGM the club has now been registered under the Co-Operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. The FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) has approved the rule book and these will be available to members as soon as they are printed. They are held up because of the pandemic
A study of the legal deeds of Lindley Liberal Club gives an insight into how the club has developed from small beginnings into the large and successful club of today. The first entry we find was on July 21st, 1887, when land known as "The Acres" comprising of about 780sq. yards and owned by Mr. Thomas Hey, a local grocer, was sold to Lindley Liberal Building Company Ltd for £195. The land purchased at that time did not include the present bowling green nor the spare land nearby. The stalwarts, who signed for and on behalf of Lindley Liberal Building Company Ltd on that historic day, were chairman Frederick William Sykes, Secretary Henry Kilner, and trustees Mr. Arthur Walker and Mr. Joel Crosland. Building commenced at once and the foundation stone laid the following month on August 9th, 1887. The club came into use the following year.
In 1891 the club was registered with the friendly societies as Lindley Liberal Working Men's Club.
We move on to December 28th, 1910 when Lindley Liberal Building Company Ltd sold the building and land to Lindley Liberal Club for the princely sum of £500. The building was subject to "Trust" clauses."Must be used as a political and social club, for persons residing in the district in which the club is, and holding opinions in accordance with those held by the Liberal Party in Huddersfield, as expressed from time to time, through the Huddersfield Association and to permit the several privileges, advantages, conveyances and accommodation of a club to be provided on the said premises and to permit the same to be used on behalf of the association of Liberals as expressed in Lindley and District in such a manner as said trustees shall in their discretion think fit."
We are therefore still committed by the deed to permit the Liberal Party access and use of the club premises for political purposes.
At this time the number of trustees required was no less than seven and no more than seventeen. There is no mention of committee or officials.
On August 1st, 1910 deeds were signed on behalf of the club with Mr. Frederick William Sykes, Green Lea, Lindley for the land situated on the bottom side of the club. To be used as a bowling green and tennis courts. The rent under agreement being a "peppercorn". This must be handed over on Christmas day each year. This has been done "religiously" every year. The club are not allowed to build on the land.
The club were responsible for all road repairs halfway across Daisy Lea Lane and Occupation Road, until both highways were adopted by Huddersfield Highways Department.
The club must have ticked along nicely for the next entry of note being April 14th, 1965 when the club borrowed £2,500 from Samuel Webster Ltd. With a further £3,500 available if required, for alterations and improvements. The interest rate charge, being ½ % under current bank rate. The trustees who signed for the club at this time were Mr. Dennis Peel, Leonard Walker, Harry Cropper and Fred Donkersley. The debt was paid in full on April 14th 1970.
On August 18th 1969 outline planning permission was obtained for further extensions and alterations.
On February 17th 1970 a resolution was passed at a special general meeting that the club borrow £18,000 from Bass North Ltd. The resolution was proposed by Mr. Harold Taylor, seconded by Mr. Stanley Ling.
On April 24th 1970 agreement was reached with Bass North Ltd to borrow £18,000. The sum borrowed at 1% above the current bank rate and to be paid back at £100 per month. In accordance with a letter of agreement with the Brewery of the same date, the club honored its obligation to follow certain trading agreements and concessions and as a result Bass Yorkshire Ltd waived all payments of interest chargeable on the loan. The total sum repaid on September 15th 1983 when Bass Ltd handed back the deeds of the club. The trustees signing on this occasion were Mr. Leonard Walker, Mr. Ernest Fernley, Mr. John Nestor and Mr. Ronald Oldroyd.